Quality of Plain Set Yoghurt as affected by Levels of Ultrafiltration Concentration of Milk and Inoculum of Yoghurt Culture

narayana Mudiyanselage Nayana Kumari Narayana, Vijay Kumar Gupta

Abstract


Quality of plain set yoghurt was investigated by varying levels of ultrafiltration concentration of cow skim milk (1-without ultrafiltration, 1.5 and 2 folds) and inoculum (2, 2.5 and 3%) of yoghurt culture (Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus 1:1). Titratable acidity development and pH reduction were significantly faster during incubation of yoghurt with increasing ultrafiltration concentration level and inoculum level. Increased ultrafiltration concentration level decreased spontaneous whey syneresis, but increased water holding capacity and firmness of the product significantly. Body & texture and overall acceptability scores were significantly better in yoghurts prepared from 1.5 fold concentrated milk irrespective of the inoculum level studied. Inoculum level did not show any significant effect on the quality of yoghurt, but higher inoculum level decreased the incubation period significantly. Optimized product was obtained with 1.5 fold concentrated skim milk standardized to 3.3% fat and incubated with 2% inoculum level in about five and a half hour of incubation. Optimized product had 13.60±0.02% total solids, 3.31±0.01% fat, 5.27±0.04% protein, 4.20±0.03% lactose and 0.82±0.02% ash. Whey syneresis, water holding capacity and firmness in optimized product were nil, 63.49% and 1.89 N, respectively. Thus, high quality plain yoghurt could be prepared by employing ultrafiltration, without addition of stabilizers, which is otherwise widely used commercially for the manufacture of yoghurt to control its wheying off and body.

Keywords


ultrafiltration; inoculum level; spontaneous whey syneresis; water holding capacity; textural attributes

Full Text:

PDF


DOI: https://doi.org/10.24925/turjaf.v4i6.508-514.685

 Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

ISSN: 2148-127X

Turkish JAF Sci.Tech.

Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology (TURJAF) is indexed by the following national and international scientific indexing services:



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





Our Journals

Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology

International Journal of Poultry - Ornamental Birds Science and Technology

Turkish Research Journal of Academic Social Science

Turkish Research Journal of Academic Technical Science

Turkish Research Journal of Academic Health and Medical Sciences

Our congresses

International Anatolian Agriculture, Food, Environment and Biology Congress (TARGID)

International Congress of the Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology (TURJAF)

Our Youtube Channel

TURAS TV

Our Books

Our Scientific Books

About Us

The Turkish Science and Technology Publishing (TURSTEP) is an online and open-access platform to publish recent research and articles of scholars worldwide. Founded in 2013 and based in Turkey, the TURSTEP as a platform for academics, educators, scholars, and students from Turkey and around the world, to connect with one another. The TURSTEP disseminates research that is proven or predicted to be of significant influence for the general public.

       

Contact Us

Please send all inquiries to the email:

teditor@agrifoodscience.com

Business Adress

Eğriköprü mh. Pilot Kaya İstektepe Cad. 9/1 BLOK Daire 7, 58050 Merkaz/Sivas, Turkey